Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Wonder Bread Summer by Jessica Anya Blau

The Wonder Bread Summer: A Novel (P.S.)

My thoughts
Allie Dodgson is a college student lends her boyfriend money to open a bar. She also works at address shop, but doesn’t get paid. Soon she is out of cash, kicked out of her apartment and can’t pay her tuition. After a disgusting episode with her drug dealing boss, she steal his bag of cocaine and takes off for Los Angeles.

What sounded like an interesting premise somehow backfires. Not only do I not like the character of Allie (didn’t think she made a good protagonist); I couldn’t connect with any of the characters and didn’t care what happened to anyone. It wasn’t funny, thrilling or the least bit interesting. I read it to the end, hoping that there would be a climatic lesson learned, but no. Differently not a thrilling summer read for me!

Book Description
It's 1983 in Berkeley, California. Twenty-year-old Allie Dodgson is a straitlaced college student working part-time at a dress shop to make ends meet. But when the shop turns out to be a front for a dangerous drug-dealing business, Allie finds herself on the lam, speeding toward Los Angeles in her best friend's Prelude with a Wonder Bread bag full of cocaine riding shotgun and a hit man named Vice Versa on her tail. You can't find a more thrilling summer read!

Disclosure: I received this book for review from the publisher. I received no compensation for my thoughts.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails